Great job! but....

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Hey there!
I recently stumbled across your editor when looking for C# editors.  I work for the Game Institute and have been trying to piece together a simple 2D game level editor in C#.  I lean more on the game engine side of coding so editors are somewhat new territory.

The work you've done is great BTW!

Anyway I'm having trouble getting your source code to build.  I've downloaded the Released version of the ArcEngine which includes the sources for the Editor as well.  And I've downloaded v16464 but some references are not there so I manually added them.
ICSharpCode.CSharpZipLib
OpenTK
OpenTK.Utilities
Tao.DevIl
Tao.OpenGL
Tao.Platform.Windows
Tao.SDL

I have downloaded both OpenTK (0.9.1) and Tao (2.1.0) and manually linked to those referenced dlls but I'm getting the following errors still:
The ICSharpCode reference I got from your released Editor Alpha 5.

(this one is duplicated many times)
Error    2    Cannot implicitly convert type 'float' to 'int'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)    C:\Dev\Other\Test\CSharp\arcengine-16464\ArcEngine\Editor\SelectionBox.cs    267    18    Editor

Error    24    Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Drawing.RectangleF' to 'System.Drawing.Rectangle'    C:\Dev\Other\Test\CSharp\arcengine-16464\ArcEngine\Editor\Forms\TileSetForm.cs    600    24    Editor

I can cast out the float to int problems but seems to me since they shouldn't be there in the first place and probably aren't in your system, there may be wrong version to a dll being referenced.  That would apply to the second error as well.

Thanks for your help on this!

Steve

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2008 at 6:52 AM
Hi

The svn source is really outdated. I'll upload source code in the week.

To build the engine, you need TAO Framework "taoframework-2.1.0-setup.exe", SharpZipLib (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Download.aspx).

If you need more help, juste ask :)

Iliak
Dec 10, 2008 at 10:20 PM
Hey Iliak,
Great!  Thanks.  The latest one I have building is 17223.  Although I do get a few errors that I manually fix.  The errors are casting floats to ints.

Steve
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2008 at 8:15 AM
Hi

I don't really know how to handle the svn, so the source on it is not the last one, several files are missing.

If you really need the latest version, I can make a bakcup for you.

Iliak
Dec 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM

I used svn extensively during my last job.  Are you using a graphical front end like Tortoisesvn?  At times I had to muck with svn and my projects to get them correct so that the right files were getting to the repository.  There’s probably not much I can do from my end.

I don’t know if I mentioned this before but I am an instructor for the Game Institute and have been putting together 2d game Editor for one of our classes.  Basically it will dump out a “world” or map file whereby the student will use to build a simple game engine around.  Part of the course is building this simple game engine.  We will be supplying an SDK for them to use for all map file manipulation in their own apps.  So really we are trying to take some of the more complicated stuff away so they can concentrate on the engine stuff.

We found your editor/engine and was interested in the editor part.  Currently we have no plans to combine the editor and engine together for an in-game editing system as yours does.  I have been mainly involved with 3D game engines so 2D is somewhat new to me.  I was reviewing your editor code to see what typical things are needed when making a 2D game.  I’ve been fine just going over the source code so I don’t believe I really need a working project at this time.  Besides that I have downloaded your Editor alpha v5.

I noticed you are using OpenGL for the graphics.  We have chosen to use Directx and are reviewing SlimDx.  Our sdk will shield the students from the graphics details anyway via the sdk so this won’t be an issue.

If we need to use any unique concepts or source code we use we will ask your permission first and if allowed to use it we will give your full credit in the course description.

Nice work in the code by the way. 

Best Regards,

Steve

Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 1:16 AM
To: stevemj@cox.net
Subject: Re: Great job! but.... [arcengine:40149]

Hi

I don't really know how to handle the svn, so the source on it is not the last one, several files are missing.

If you really need the latest version, I can make a bakcup for you.

Iliak

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (arcengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email arcengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2008 at 9:33 PM
Woohh, my work will help students to learn in an a game instute... If I had known ;)

As I said, the source code is really outdated in the svn. If you have links or others resources i'm really interrested on how to use svn. I tried with tortoise SVN and AnkhSNV for visual studio 2008. I can send you the lastest version until i manage the svn part.

In a next release, I plan to allow the end user to select between OpenGL / DirectX as the render system (mainly as I don't really know DirectX, so it would be a good exercice for me). I have many ideas to implement in the engine, but not so much time. So if you have ideas / needs, maybe i'll put them near the top of the list. Out of curiosity, what parts are good and bad according to you for your courses ?

Currently, there's another project I'm doing. It's a clone of Eye of the Beholder (2D maze), so maybe it would be interresting for you...

Iliak

PS : I just managed svn (at least I hope) and uploaded the latest version. Have a look and tell me.
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Iliak,

J 

I just downloaded 17721 today.  I still get the missing reference errors but I’ll just manually add them back.  I’m trying to get the basic rendering system hooked up.  I don’t have nor will I be using an OpenGL control for rendering.  I’d like to find a DirectX control already written to save me time.  I found SlimDX but I need more of a control.  If you run into any good ones let me know.

I am planning to make my life even easier by using DirectX Sprite interface rather than drawing into a texture rect. 

Having said all that I’m wondering now if I’m moving into overkill here for rendering.  See, my app will strictly be an editor not an in-game editor where the main rendering windows need to render as fast as possible using hardware acceleration.  Perhaps just GDI will work fine.  Any thoughts on that since I’m sure you have thought about that at one point or another?

Steve

Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:22 PM
To: stevemj@cox.net
Subject: Re: Great job! but.... [arcengine:40149]

Woohh, my work will help students to learn in an a game instute... If I had known ;)

As I said, the source code is really outdated in the svn. If you have links or others resources i'm really interrested on how to use svn. I tried with tortoise SVN and AnkhSNV for visual studio 2008. I can send you the lastest version until i manage the svn part.

In a next release, I plan to allow the end user to select between OpenGL / DirectX as the render system (mainly as I don't really know DirectX, so it would be a good exercice for me). I have many ideas to implement in the engine, but not so much time. So if you have ideas / needs, maybe i'll put them near the top of the list. Out of curiosity, what parts are good and bad according to you for your courses ?

Currently, there's another project I'm doing. It's a clone of Eye of the Beholder (2D maze), so maybe it would be interresting for you...

Iliak

PS : I just managed svn (at least I hope) and uploaded the latest version. Have a look and tell me.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (arcengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email arcengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com